- Peninsula group to open hotel in Yangon
- French firm to invest in Myanmar’s tourism industry
- Japanese business travellers flock to Myanmar
- Tourists to Inle region surge 50 percent
- Inle floating market nearly disappearing
- Mandalay to build 20 hotels providing over 1400 rooms
- More passports issued in this summer
- Myanmar starts online tour guide services
- Discovering traditional water festival in Myanmar
- Maungmagan beach packed with visitors
Published on Wednesday, 07 November 2012 17:52
Authorities have prohibited foreign tourists from travelling to Putao last month due to security reasons, sources from the tourism industry say.
Putao, a northernmost town in Kachin State, is a restricted area for foreign tourists and requires a special permit from authorities.
Authorities have allowed foreign tourists to travel to Putao last year, but retracted previously issued permits. They also stopped issuing any more permits during this peak season, an official from the Putao Trekking House said.
As a result, local tour companies have to cancel itineraries to Putao and refund those who have already been booked.