Published on Wednesday, 07 November 2012 17:52
Authorities have prohibited foreign tourists from travelling to Putao last month due to security reasons, sources from the tourism industry say.
Putao, a northernmost town in Kachin State, is a restricted area for foreign tourists and requires a special permit from authorities.
Authorities have allowed foreign tourists to travel to Putao last year, but retracted previously issued permits. They also stopped issuing any more permits during this peak season, an official from the Putao Trekking House said.
As a result, local tour companies have to cancel itineraries to Putao and refund those who have already been booked.
Tourism Latest News
- Hotels ready to accommodate local and foreign media
- MIC grants a hotel project in Dawei
- Hotels to charge current prices for SEA Games
- Tourism master plan predicts 1.5 million jobs in seven years
- Tourists asked to respect rules when visiting heritage sites
- Myawady border bridge to extend opening hours
- Historic U Bein Bridge in Mandalay in a ruinous state
- Disappointment, complaints mar popular festival
- Hotels nearly overbooked as tourists flock to Bagan
- Thai celebrities to visit Myanmar for pre-SEA Games activity