Published on Thursday, 08 August 2013 23:49
Attendees seen in an inauguration ceremony of AP in Yangon (Photo-Aung Myo Thant)
The Associated Press (AP) held a ceremony on Tuesday at the Strand Hotel in Yangon to inaugurate its new branch office in Myanmar.
AP is the first western news agency given permission to open a branch office in Myanamr.
"We have an office in Yangon so our correspondents can be based here. They can report exclusively. In addition, readers are taking more interest in Myanmar," said Aye Aye Win, AP's Myanmar correspondent.
Attending the ceremony was US Ambassador Derek J. Mitchell, General Manager of News and Periodical Enterprise under Ministry of Information Ye Naing, Patron of National League for Democracy Tin Oo, Senior Managing Editor from AP John Daniszewski, Executive Editor Kathleen Carrol, Asia-Pacific News Director Brain Carovillano as well as other representatives from the media.
Politics Latest News
- President leaves for ASEAN-Japan summit
- Suu Kyi back from Qatar after attending health summit
- 10 December Group demand constitutional amendment
- Law to provide basic needs for disabled people
- Thein Sein to attend ASEAN-Japan summit
- U.N. welcomes release of political prisoners
- Ethnic armed groups postpone conference
- Suu Kyi to deliver speech on constitutional reform
- Amnesty given to 41 political prisoners on SEA Games opening
- China-Myanmar ties at a 'critical juncture'