Published on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 15:59
The government of Iran has confirmed reports that it is preparing to open an embassy here, with a spokesman saying initial preparations have already been made.
The spokesman told news agencies that Iran had initiated discussions on opening an embassy here.
Myanmar has diplomatic relations with 110 of the 193 member countries of the United Nations. The United States restored full diplomatic relations with Myanmar last year following democratic reforms. Twenty-eight countries now have embassies here, with embassy staff saying that some are quickly expanding their commercial affairs departments to handle a surge in interest in business opportunities here.
Politics Latest News
- Suu Kyi to attend global health summit in Qatar
- Chin ethnics flee Myanmar en masse to avoid human rights abuse, political insecurity
- Myanmar to establish work committee for emergence of all-inclusive union conference
- Thein Sein visits the Philippines
- Corruption, bribery “embedded” in Myanmar judiciary system, says ICJ report
- More than 80 prisoners to be scrutinized for report to president
- Most military personnel will support charter change if clearly explained – Suu Kyi
- Suu Kyi responds to Thein Sein’s comment on four-way summit
- Constitution to be discussed following ceasefire - Aung Min
- Workshop explores role of fundraising for political parties