Published on Thursday, 27 June 2013 19:56 Written by Aung Kyaw Kyaw
Natural gas is soon to play a vital role in Myanmar's energy sector, eventually overtaking petrol according to energy sector officials.
Thaung Win, the Chairman of Energy and Renewable Energy Committee, was speaking at the Myanmar-Korea Natural Gas Vehicle Forum on June 24.
Myanmar is expected to increase off-shore and on-shore crude oil production by 0.2 percent between 2011 and 2016. In the natural gas sector the country expects to increase by 70.2 percent, playing a vital role in the future of Myanmar energy sector.
“For that reason, natural gas will become a must alternative in transportation sector, too. Natural gas vehicles ensure a reduction in environmental pollution. The use of natural gas is much cheaper than petroleum fuel,” said Thaung Win.
Presently, gas from Nyaungdon on-shore natural gas field is being provided to cars running in Yangon, according to the statement released by Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE).
- Dr Than Htut Aung’s speech on Digital Media launching ceremony
- I Will Tell the Real Truth (17)
- High expectations as Myanmar takes Asean helm
- Corruption in Myanmar: take down the real villains
- Myanmar's turn in the spotlight can have benefits
- Ways for Myanmar to make better headway
- I will tell the real truth (16) - Part (2)
- Leaders have to decide
- I will tell the real truth (16) - Part (1)
- I will tell the real truth (15) ...