- Myanmar promises humanitarian aids for Rakhine ethnics fleeing Bangladesh
- Making Yangon City Green
- Japan’s Prime Minister to visit Myanmar in near future
- PET_CT scan to be installed at Yangon General Hospital
- Labour disputes on the rise in Myanmar
- Founding of Wa State is worthy: Wa chairman
- Chinese gov’t approaches Myanmar’s opposition NLD for re-undertaking Myitsone dam project
- Myanmar authorities cancel household lists of Bengalis fleeing to Bangladesh
- Myanmar inspects China chickens
- Local peasants, businessmen face tricky situation in land grab of army
Published on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 19:30
Some locals seen together with bags of rice donated by WFP at the jetty of Sankin village in Myitkyina
(Photo-Nay Tun Naing/EMG)
Efforts to raise funds to provide humanitarian relief to refugees fleeing conflict zones in Kachin State have fallen far short of the US$35.8 million required in the plan drafted by the United Nations and aid organisations last March, aid organisations staff said.
Only US$21 million has been raised since March for the Kachin response plan, which was drafted before fighting intensified, according to the aid workers who asked not to be named. These funds came from international aid organisations and individual donors, they said.
The plan from last March specified how much was needed to provide shelter, meals, health, clean water, education and childcare to those fleeing fighting between government forces and the Kachin Independence Army. Food was the priority, with $14 million allocated for it.
A 17-year ceasefire between government forces and the KIA unraveled in June 2011. Since then an estimated 2,400 small- and large-scale skirmishes have occurred, displacing more than 100,000 people.