Published on Friday, 11 January 2013 21:07
Student leader Min Ko Naing speaks at Taw Win Hnin Si Restaurant in Yangon (Photo - EMG)
Kachin locals and civic organisations yesterday demanded for the immediate halt to clashes between government troops and Kachin Independence Army (KIA).
At an event in Yangon, monks also appealed that internal peace be restored in the restive region.
“There may be those who know why the civil war is happening. There are many problems closely related to history. We will have to try harder to restore peace as soon as we can,” said Min Ko Naing, leader of 88 Generation Students Group, said.
Those present demanded that government troops and KIA designate a war-free zone.
Kachin locals also asked Aung San Suu Kyi to facilitate a dialogue for the immediate halt in the clashes.
Suu Kyi was quoted as saying to reporters on January 9 that she couldn’t participate in the Kachin peace process because she was not invited by the government.
National Latest News
- Myanmar to hold its first-ever international women’s conference
- Service centres for Myanmar migrant workers to open in border areas
- Myawady border bridge collects Ks 25 million
- Kachin IDP's return home despite ongoing peace talks
- Millions lost in illegal timber trade with China
- Police unable to confirm celebrities’ past drug scandals
- University students return to live on campus
- Yangon car horn-free zone a failure says traffic police
- MPA to construct seven new wharves in Yangon
- Myanmar to provide emergency healthcare for SEA Games athletes