Published on Friday, 04 January 2013 16:40
Authorities failed to rebuild 54 out of 67 buildings at risk in Yangon in 2012, the Yangon City Development Committee (YCDC) said.
The Ministry of Construction said it managed to complete reconstructing only 13 buildings because finding contractors to do the job proved to be difficult.
Residents at the high risk buildings urged officials to speed up the work. Authorities said they have arranged temporary shelters for the residents until after the reconstruction has been completed.
YCDC has recorded a total of 1,651 buildings at risk since 1994. The buildings are demolished and then rebuilt. But so far, 130 demolished sites have not been reconstructed yet. Residents had to rent for apartments at their own expense.
National Latest News
- Tropical cyclone Madi likely to enter Myanmar
- Migyaungkan protesters meet with Yangon officials
- War victims in Kachin State face human rights abuses
- President’s Office suspends Botahtaung project
- Myanmar must eradicate cultural barriers to empower women - IMF
- Myanmar expand HIV treatment to 85% of patients by 2016
- IMF to provide financial techniques to Myanmar
- France to partner in Myanmar Journalism School
- China has not issued formal complaint over flag-burning incident
- Yangon protestors’ camp ordered to shut down