Published on Tuesday, 27 November 2012 21:09
Seized raw jades seen at Monywa Police Station No.1 (Photo-EMG)
Myanmar police confiscated raw jade smuggled from Phakant region after busting the alleged courier in Monywa, Sagaing region, on the night of November 21.
According to the police, the 10.2 metric tonnes jade were supposed to be delivered to Mandalay.
Min Naing, 29, was caught red-handed with the jade on the 2-axle truck on Chindwin River’s Monywa pier at 10pm that night. His 39-year old driver, Kyaw Moe Naing from Chaung Oo Township, was also on the truck.
Min Naing told the investigators that the jade owner was Aung Naing Win from Mingin Township.
According to Min Naing, the owner shipped the jade from Hongpa five days ago.
On November 19, the cargo reached Kalewa Township where it was later transferred to Monywa using Phyo Phyo Kyaw Boat.
Monywa Police charges Min Naing of violating Section 42 (a) of Myanmar Gemstone Law.
There was similar illegal shipment of jade from Phakant region using boat along the Chindwin
River several years ago.
National Latest News
- Yangon's 'Michaung Kan' evictions draw widespread criticism
- Myanmar’s new central bank law to be approved next month
- Myanmar to update 1988 Organizations Law
- Evicted families and students face difficulties
- Myanmar and Thailand universities participate in Education Fair
- 167 Myanmar workers arrive home from Malaysia
- Myanmar suspends sending workers to Malaysia
- Myanmar Buddhist monks make clarification of Buddhism
- Schools reopen in Maungdaw, Rakhine State
- Two Myanmar female workers show signs of mental illness on return from S'pore