Rakhine witnesses invited to give evidence

Writer: 
Nyein Ko
National Security Adviser Thaung Tun (Photo-EMG)

Witnesses will be invited to give testimony on accusations of human rights violations in Rakhine State and given protection "in line with international standards", said national security adviser Thaung Tun on March 18.

He said attacks on three border police outposts in Rakhine State on October 9 last year hindered the development of the state. The international media and NGOs have broadcast images of the security forces violating human rights while thousands fled to Bangladesh to avoid the authorities.

and given protection "in line with international standards.

He continued that the government formed an investigation commission led by military-appointed First Vice President Myint Swe to visit Rakhine State to investigate the accusations. Moreover the commission will visit Cox’s Bazar, eastern Bangladesh, to investigate in cooperation with the Dhaka government.

He said the authorities had not ignored the situation and had taken action against police officers who beat and kicked Koe Tan Kaute villagers.

"The government is trying to deal with the situation from every possible angle to establish peace and stability in Rakhine State for a long time. The government appointed teachers where the rebels attacked and volunteer teachers are assigned at refugee camps. Supplies of electricity using generators increased from four hours to six hours at Buthidaung and Maungdaw, he said.

The government said it was providing humanitarian aid in cooperation with international organisations in Rakhine State. It would seek advice, included in the report of Rakhine State advisory commission led by former UN secretary general Kofi Annan, said Thaung Tun.

Translated by Aung Kyaw Kyaw