Published on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 02:31
YANGON—At the invitation of President Thein Sein, German President Joachim Gauck arrived in Myanmar yesterday for his first visit.
During his tour, the German president will meet today with Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw. He will also meet separately with National League for Democracy chairperson and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Tomorrow, Gauck will attend the German-Myanmar Business Forum to be held at the headquarters of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Yangon. He will also deliver a speech at Diamond Jubilee Hall in Yangon University.
On Sunday evening, the president paid homage at Shwedagon Pagoda. He returns home on Wednesday.
Gauck was elected president of Germany on March 18, 2012. With 991 of the 1,228 votes cast in the federal convention, he became Germany’s eleventh president.
National Latest News
- Swiss envoy decries lack of women in peace process
- Hundreds march for charter amendment in Yangon
- Kayin IDPs wait on ceasefire to return home
- Ministry announces credit guarantees for SMEs
- Myanma Airways clarifies lease of Boeings
- Ethnic leaders call on 88 Generation group
- Protests in Taikgyi call for charter change
- Yangon authorities to censor new year slogans
- Ethnic armed groups oppose Hatgyi dam project
- Bengalis not assigned to take census, says government official