Published on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 02:31
YANGON—At the invitation of President Thein Sein, German President Joachim Gauck arrived in Myanmar yesterday for his first visit.
During his tour, the German president will meet today with Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw. He will also meet separately with National League for Democracy chairperson and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Tomorrow, Gauck will attend the German-Myanmar Business Forum to be held at the headquarters of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Yangon. He will also deliver a speech at Diamond Jubilee Hall in Yangon University.
On Sunday evening, the president paid homage at Shwedagon Pagoda. He returns home on Wednesday.
Gauck was elected president of Germany on March 18, 2012. With 991 of the 1,228 votes cast in the federal convention, he became Germany’s eleventh president.
National Latest News
- MPF orders its members to capture more than 10,000 suspects on the run
- President nominates Ye Htut as Information Minister, Dr. Than Aung as Health Minister
- Chief minister apologises for inviting MSF back to Rakhine State
- MAI expanding flights to Korea, Japan
- Two arrested in US$2 million heroin bust near Chinese border
- Minister issues warning over ‘illegal’ cigarette sales
- Ooredoo jumps the gun with SIM sale in Mandalay
- Enactment of IP law under way
- Gas sold to 9 private firms at 30 times less than market rate: report
- Activists decry increasing arrests of farmers