Published on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 02:31
YANGON—At the invitation of President Thein Sein, German President Joachim Gauck arrived in Myanmar yesterday for his first visit.
During his tour, the German president will meet today with Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw. He will also meet separately with National League for Democracy chairperson and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Tomorrow, Gauck will attend the German-Myanmar Business Forum to be held at the headquarters of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Yangon. He will also deliver a speech at Diamond Jubilee Hall in Yangon University.
On Sunday evening, the president paid homage at Shwedagon Pagoda. He returns home on Wednesday.
Gauck was elected president of Germany on March 18, 2012. With 991 of the 1,228 votes cast in the federal convention, he became Germany’s eleventh president.
National Latest News
- Information Ministry suspends publication of Myanmar Eleven newspaper again
- Squatters to be excluded from 2015 election
- Farmers blame mill for low rice yields
- Suu Kyi tells young to avoid ecstasy
- MP demands death sentence for child rapists
- Government to pay Koh Tao defence witness expenses
- Gas explosion injures seven students
- Myanmar among top 10 worst jailers of journalists in 2014: CPJ
- Yangon car importers must show proof of parking space
- Theft on the rise in Myanmar, say police