Published on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 02:31
YANGON—At the invitation of President Thein Sein, German President Joachim Gauck arrived in Myanmar yesterday for his first visit.
During his tour, the German president will meet today with Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw. He will also meet separately with National League for Democracy chairperson and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Tomorrow, Gauck will attend the German-Myanmar Business Forum to be held at the headquarters of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Yangon. He will also deliver a speech at Diamond Jubilee Hall in Yangon University.
On Sunday evening, the president paid homage at Shwedagon Pagoda. He returns home on Wednesday.
Gauck was elected president of Germany on March 18, 2012. With 991 of the 1,228 votes cast in the federal convention, he became Germany’s eleventh president.
National Latest News
- Military ‘turning farmers into land slaves’
- Tourists flocking back to bridge in Mandalay
- Hotel zone aims to draw more to peak in Chin
- Telenor to debut service in Nay Pyi Taw on Friday
- Rule of law feeble, courts corrupt, Suu Kyi committee finds
- Is time running out for luxury watch importer Cherry Oo?
- Union calls for release of student charged with abduction of Chinese
- Government procurement law needed, says deputy attorney-general
- Letpadaungtaung protesters call for release of Ba-Ka-Tha student
- Myanmar set to ratify Biological Weapons Convention