Published on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 02:31
YANGON—At the invitation of President Thein Sein, German President Joachim Gauck arrived in Myanmar yesterday for his first visit.
During his tour, the German president will meet today with Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw. He will also meet separately with National League for Democracy chairperson and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Tomorrow, Gauck will attend the German-Myanmar Business Forum to be held at the headquarters of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Yangon. He will also deliver a speech at Diamond Jubilee Hall in Yangon University.
On Sunday evening, the president paid homage at Shwedagon Pagoda. He returns home on Wednesday.
Gauck was elected president of Germany on March 18, 2012. With 991 of the 1,228 votes cast in the federal convention, he became Germany’s eleventh president.
National Latest News
- Students warned against march on Yangon
- Stop paying bribes, Suu Kyi tells rally
- Tenants flee to suburbs as rents rise
- Rights are vital, Suu Kyi says
- 5 students face lawsuits in Kyaukse
- Maubin bank accused of handing out fake note bundles
- Missing Spanish cyclist found
- Chinshwehaw calls on residents to return
- Students meet MPs changing education law
- Airline plans 3 daily Yangon-Nay Pyi Taw flights