Published on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 02:31
YANGON—At the invitation of President Thein Sein, German President Joachim Gauck arrived in Myanmar yesterday for his first visit.
During his tour, the German president will meet today with Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw. He will also meet separately with National League for Democracy chairperson and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Tomorrow, Gauck will attend the German-Myanmar Business Forum to be held at the headquarters of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Yangon. He will also deliver a speech at Diamond Jubilee Hall in Yangon University.
On Sunday evening, the president paid homage at Shwedagon Pagoda. He returns home on Wednesday.
Gauck was elected president of Germany on March 18, 2012. With 991 of the 1,228 votes cast in the federal convention, he became Germany’s eleventh president.
National Latest News
- Eleven student protesters granted bail, others remanded
- Navy ship to bring workers home from Malaysia
- Public movement against Letpadan crackdown runs in Sagaing
- A man for his country, a media for a nation
- Dr. Than Htut Aung‘s Golden Pen of Freedom 2013 Acceptance Speech
- Hlaing River bridge to be constructed, says construction ministry
- 11 pro-student supporters released on bail
- Second court appearance of students, supporters with heavy security presence
- Universities to be autonomous next year
- 20 prisoners released from Tharyawaddy