Published on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 02:31
YANGON—At the invitation of President Thein Sein, German President Joachim Gauck arrived in Myanmar yesterday for his first visit.
During his tour, the German president will meet today with Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw. He will also meet separately with National League for Democracy chairperson and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Tomorrow, Gauck will attend the German-Myanmar Business Forum to be held at the headquarters of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Yangon. He will also deliver a speech at Diamond Jubilee Hall in Yangon University.
On Sunday evening, the president paid homage at Shwedagon Pagoda. He returns home on Wednesday.
Gauck was elected president of Germany on March 18, 2012. With 991 of the 1,228 votes cast in the federal convention, he became Germany’s eleventh president.
National Latest News
- Dishonest Thai brokers cheat illegal migrant workers
- Students protest against national education draft
- Ebola suspects’ blood samples sent to lab in India
- Solo protester in Mogok calls for a clean judicial system
- Bengalis can apply for citizenship, but not Rohingyas: minister
- Rakhine govt denies it mismanaged budget for roads
- Yangon govt moves swiftly to counter backlash to ‘secret town’
- Huge crowd observes Dhammazedi bell search
- Murdered actress will star in upcoming film
- MP urges parliament to re-invite tender for Yangon New Town Plan