Death of EMG’s reporter was premeditated

Police Captain Thein Swe Myint clarifies about the murder (Photo- Htay Hla Aung)


The death of Eleven Media Group’s reporter Soe Moe Tun was premeditated, said Police Captain Thein Swe Myint from Monywa Township police station yesterday.

The reporter was found dead with injuries to his head, left eye brow and face beside the Union road, Aung Chanthar Ward in Monywa around 12:20 am on Wednesday. Police filed the case under Section 302 of Penal Code.

The Sagaing Pegion police force formed a special team to investigate the case, according to the police.

“It seems as if the murder was plotted in advance. We investigated the crime scene and kept a sentry to prevent the clues from being erased. The deceased was found face down. About five feet away from the body, we found clues that indicate the body was discarded. We found a 1.22m long stick, his bike helmet and slippers near the body this morning. We believe there are two suspects. Soe Moe Tun had given us tip-offs in the past. He was honest. He had no criminal record. The murder was prepared very thoroughly. When the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) looked for forensic evidence, they didn’t find anything as the culprits destroyed their fingerprints on the stick. The CID is examining call lists in the victim’s cell phone. We are interrogating six people. He was murdered in the spot where we found his body. The police is trying to find the culprits,” said the police captain.

Khin Cho Latt, the victim’s wife said, “My husband has no enemies. The police found rope and a stick near his body. I assume he was tied up with the rope. The murderers beat his nose and eyes, according to the sheriff. I want the truth.”

A colleague of Soe Moe Tun said, “I met with him yesterday evening before he was killed. I didn’t believe the news when his murder was reported. I thought it was a joke. We went to the scene after that. I think it is a warning to the reporters from cronies.  We were reporting on the robbery case in Monywa Institute of Economics, but his death is not related to that case.”

Soe Moe Tun was reporting on Monywa, its surrounding areas and the Letpadaungtaung copper mine project.

“My son is very honest like his father. He was doing his work for the benefit of others. I feel grief, and  I am sad for my son. Please help me bring him justice,” said his mother Ye Ye Htay.

A local said, “He has no enemies. I met with him six days ago. He was reporting the truth. There may be people who are displeased with his reporting. We didn’t think he would be killed. We feel sad for him.”

The deceased recently reported about the increasing number of KTVs in Monywa and submitted a complaint letter to the Region chief minister to prevent the opening of more illegal KTVs, according to local reporters. Local reporters and his acquaintances believe that his murder is related to his KTV reports.

Soe Moe Tun’s funeral will be held at Sarkyin cemetery in Monywa at 3 pm today, sources say.